Joliet Fire Department, Joliet, Illinois
The City of Joliet Board of Fire and Police Commissioners is accepting applications for the position of firefighter/paramedic.
Salary: $58,437 - $90,436 (after 4 years)Population: 149,000Sworn Personnel: 209
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the City of Joliet:
- U.S. citizenship;
- No felony convictions;
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
- Possess a valid driver's license with good driving record (will be required proof of identification at all phases of testing);
- No offensive and/or inappropriate visible tattoos, brands, or body piercings. No tattoos, body art, or brands will be on the head, face, scalp, neck, or hands from the wrists to the fingertips (Reference: Joliet Fire Department Standard Operating Procedure #25 - under the Job Description section of the application);
- Possess 20/20 vision (or corrected 20/20 vision) and cannot be color blind;
- At least 20 years of age and UNDER 35 years of age at time of the application deadline (August 28, 2017) -AND- Must be at least 21 years of age and UNDER 35 years of age at time of job appointment, unless otherwise exempt (see below).
- Unless otherwise exempt by State or Federal law; Such maximum age limitation shall not apply in the case of 1) any person previously employed as a full-time firefighter in a regularly constituted fire department of (i) any municipality or fire protection district whose obligations were assumed by a municipality under Section 21 of the Fire Protection District Act, or (ii) a municipality whose obligations were taken over by a fire protection district, or 2) any person who has served the fire district as a regularly enrolled volunteer, paid-on-call, or part-time firefighter for the 5 years immediately preceding the time that the district begins to use full-time firefighters to provide all or part of its fire protection service. (References: 70 ILCS 705/16.06b; 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6);
- Must successfully obtain a valid Paramedic certification in the State of Illinois -AND- test into the Silver Cross EMS System by the end of their probationary period*
- *Candidates that do not currently possess a State of Illinois Paramedic License and are not members of the Silver Cross EMS System will be required to attend paramedic school (paid for by the Joliet Fire Department), pass the State of Illinois Paramedic Licensure Exam and successfully test into the Silver Cross EMS System during their probationary period. Failure to do so will result in the candidate's termination.
- Must present a valid CPAT and Ladder Climb certification with any licensed agency, issued no more than 12 months prior to time of job appointment;
- Additional information on the CPAT and Ladder Climb Certifications is available in the "Summary of the Hiring Process" section of the application.
- Attend a mandatory orientation/written exam administration on Saturday, September 16, 2017; Candidates scoring in the top tier will move on to the first round of oral interviews;
- Must meet the requirements of a background investigation and pass a medical, vision, psychological and polygraph test;
- Pay a $40.00 non-refundable application processing fee;
- Application deadline is Monday, August 28, 2017 at 4:00 PM.
Preference Points will be awarded as determined by the City of Joliet for the following:
Military Veterans: Applicants who served in the United States military for at least 1 year and who were honorably discharged shall receive 5 points. Proof of such service must include a copy of Military Form DD-214 (long form) as proof of active service and evidence of honorable discharge at time of application to qualify;
Education: Applicants who have successfully obtained an Associate's Degree in the field of Fire Service or Emergency Medical Services -OR- a Bachelor's Degree in any field from an accredited college or university, shall be awarded 2 points. Official transcripts must be submitted at time of application to qualify;
Paramedic Certification: Applicants who have obtained a State of Illinois Paramedic (EMT-P) license shall be awarded 2 points. Proof of licensure must be submitted at time of application to qualify;
Bilingual Ability: Applicants who are bilingual in Spanish and pass both an oral and listening test prescribed by the Board of Fire and Police Commission, shall be awarded 2 points. The test will only be offered to candidates scoring in the top tier of the written exam who are invited to participate in the oral interview phase. The candidate will be responsible for the cost of the voluntary bilingual testing.
Submission of Application
- Applications MUST be submitted online by Monday, August 28, 2017 at 4:00 PM (CST).
- Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Clear your calendar and make sure you are available on the following date: All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their eligibility to continue in the process and specific information pertaining to the testing start time. A second afternoon testing session may be added on this date based on the number of candidates attending.
Saturday, September 16, 2017Location: Joliet West High School401 N. Larkin AvenueJoliet, IL 60435 Click here for a map of the school: https://goo.gl/maps/ejy4o
- Candidates must present a valid driver's license upon check-in.
- A mandatory orientation will immediately follow candidate check-in.
- The written examination will be administered following the orientation session.
- Candidates should expect to be on-site for testing approximately 3 1/2 hours.
- Candidates are encouraged to bring beverages and snacks to the testing site.
- Cell phones are not permitted in the testing area.
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants: As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline. Failure to disclose complete and honest information may result in disqualification from the hiring process.
The City of Joliet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.