Please note: All applications must be submitted on-line via the Apply to Serve website and applicants will be required to participate in a remote on-line exam. Anyone who does not have access to the internet can complete their application and/or written exam using a computer at the Manteno Police Department. Candidates needing this accommodation will need to contact the department at 815-929-4801 to make arrangements and schedule a time to complete the application and/or exam.
Manteno Police Department
The Board of Police Commissioners of the Village of Manteno, Illinois is accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Manteno Police Department.
Salary: $55,700 (1 year), $76,097 (10 years), $81,214 (20 years)
Population: 9,000 (approx.)
Sworn Police Officers: 19
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Village of Manteno:
- U.S. citizenship;
- No felony convictions;
- Valid state-issued driver's license;
- Must be between 21 and 35 years of age at time of application, unless previously employed as a police officer;
- High school graduate or GED equivalent;
- Must successfully complete a written examination and oral interview;
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, polygraph, psychological and medical testing;
- Once hired, applicants must pass the physical fitness entrance requirements of the police academy;
- Review a mandatory police officer candidate orientation presentation prior to submitting application (you will be required to sign a form acknowledging you reviewed this as part of the application).
- Click here to review the mandatory entry-level police officer candidate orientation presentation:
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
Lateral Transfer Candidates: An applicant who is certified by the State of Illinois as a police officer and who has a minimum of two (2) years' experience out of the last five (5) years employed as a full-time police officer in another jurisdiction will be placed on a lateral transfer eligibility list.
- Lateral transfer candidates are NOT required to take the written exam;
- Lateral transfer candidates ARE REQUIRED to participate in the oral interview process;
- A copy of your Law Enforcement Officer Certification must be submitted with your application.
Preference Points will be awarded for the following:
- Military Experience: Persons who were engaged in the military or naval service of the United States for at least one year, and were honorably discharged. A copy of Form DD-214 (indicating status of discharge) or equivalent proof of military service must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Education: Persons who have successfully obtained an Associate's Degree in the field of law enforcement or criminal justice - OR - a Bachelor's Degree in any field from an accredited college or university. Copy of unofficial transcripts or diploma must be submitted with application to qualify.
Submission of Application
Applications MUST be submitted online by Friday, November 20, 2020 at 4:00 p.m. (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Mandatory Written Examination Testing
Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, candidates will be required participate in remote on-line written exam testing starting at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, December 2, 2020 through Friday, December 4, 2020 at 4 p.m. The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. Candidates without access to a computer can make arrangements with the Manteno Police Department to take the exam there by contacting the department at 815-929-4801. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants:As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline.
The Village of Manteno is an Equal Opportunity Employer.