Chicago Heights Fire Department, Chicago Heights, Illinois
The Chicago Heights Board of Fire and Police Commissioners is accepting applications for the position of firefighter/paramedic.
Salary: $54,084Population: 30,026Sworn Personnel: 60
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Chicago Heights Fire Department:
- U.S. citizenship;
- Possess a valid driver's license with good driving record (will be required proof of identification at all phases of testing);
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
- At least 18 years of age and UNDER 35 years of age at time of the application deadline (December 12, 2018);
- No felony convictions;
- Be certified at an EMT by the State of Illinois or be eligible for reciprocity (EMT-B);
- Attend a mandatory orientation program on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 6:30 pm at Bloom High School;
- Pass a mandatory written exam administration on Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 8:00 am at Bloom High School;
- Must present a valid CPAT and Ladder Climb certification with any licensed agency, issued no more than 12 months prior to time of job appointment;
- Additional information on the CPAT and Ladder Climb Certifications is available in the "Summary of the Hiring Process" section of the application.
- Must meet the requirements of a background investigation, pass an oral examination, and medical, drug, psychological and polygraph tests;
- Be certified as a paramedic in the South Cook County Emergency Medical Service System at Ingalls Hospital, Harvey, Illinois and the State of Illinois prior to the date the candidate is hired as a Firefighter/Paramedic for the city;
- Be certified as having successfully completed the Physical Agility Test (CPAT) within one year before date of hire;
- Become a resident of the City of Chicago Heights within 12 months after hiring date;
- Pay a $40.00 non-refundable application processing fee;
- Application deadline is Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 4:00 PM.
A Maximum of ten (10) Preference Points will be awarded as determined by the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners for the following:
Military Veterans: Applicants who served in the United States military for at least 1 year and who were honorably discharged shall receive 5 points. Proof of such service must include a copy of Military Form DD-214 (long form) as proof of active service and evidence of honorable discharge at time of application to qualify;
Education: Applicants who have successfully obtained an Associate's Degree in the field of Fire Service or Emergency Medical Services -OR- a Bachelor's Degree in any field from an accredited college or university, shall be awarded 2 points. Official transcripts must be submitted at time of application to qualify;
Paramedic Certification: Applicants who have obtained Firefighter II or Firefighter III certification or a State of Illinois or nationally certified Paramedic (EMT-P) license shall be awarded 1 points. Proof of licensure must be submitted at time of application to qualify;
Residency: Residents of the City of Chicago Heights for at least one year shall be awarded 1 point. Must submit proof of residency at the time of application to qualify;
- Experience: Applicants who are currently employed as a Paid on Call firefighter shall be awarded 1/2 point for every 6 months of POC service for maximum of 5 points.
Submission of Application
- Applications MUST be submitted online by Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 4:00 PM (CST).
- Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Clear your calendar and make sure you are available on the following dates: All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their eligibility to continue in the process.
Mandatory Orientation: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 6:30 pmLocation: Bloom High School Auditorium10th Street and Dixie HighwayChicago Heights, IL 60411 Mandatory Written Exam: Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 8:00 amLocation: Bloom High School Cafeteria10th Street and Dixie HighwayChicago Heights, IL 60411 Click here for a map of the school: https://goo.gl/maps/4HDDpsXMzxT2
- Candidates must present a valid driver's license upon check-in.
- Candidates should expect to be on-site for testing approximately 3 1/2 hours.
- Candidates are encouraged to bring beverages and snacks to the testing site.
- Cell phones are not permitted in the testing area.
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants: As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline. Failure to disclose complete and honest information may result in disqualification from the hiring process.
The City of Chicago Heights is an Equal Opportunity Employer