There is no application fee for this hiring process
Wilmington Police Department
The Wilmington, Illinois Board of Police Commission is accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Wilmington Police Department.
Starting Salary: $61,530 - $73,376 Population: 5,735Sworn Police Officers: 22* (17 Full-Time and 5 Part-Time)*Will add a minimum of four (4) full-time officers within the next 2 years. The Wilmington Police Department is proud to announce that they are now certified by the United States Department of Veterans' Affairs for the Police Officer on-the-job Training Program. Please visit http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/onthejob_apprenticeship.asp
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the City of Wilmington:
- U.S. citizenship;
- No felony convictions;
- Possess a valid state-issued driver's license with good driving record;
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age and UNDER 35 years of age at the time of application unless otherwise exempt by State Statute 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6;
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
- Possess a valid NIPSTA card – OR - equivalent criteria as per the State standard, issued within 12 months of the written exam date (April 15, 2023);
- POWER Test Cards issued by NIPSTA, Triton College or Joliet Junior College will be accepted.
- Applicants must present the POWER Test card NO LATER than the written exam date (April 15, 2023).
- Successfully pass a written examination with a minimum passing score of 70% on each of the (4) sections;
- Successfully complete an oral interview with the Board of Police Commission;
- Successfully complete a background investigation, polygraph, and psychological testing;
- Successfully complete a medical physical, to include drug and alcohol screening;
A maximum of (5) preference points will be awarded as determined by the City of Wilmington for any one the following:
- Education: Persons who have successfully obtained an Associate's Degree in the field of law enforcement or criminal justice - OR- a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university. Copy of unofficial transcripts must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Experience: Persons who have been awarded a certificate of successful completion of the Minimum Standards Basic Law Enforcement Training Course (Certified Illinois Police Officer). Copy of state-issued certification must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Military: Persons who were engaged in the military or naval service of the United States for at least one year, and were honorably discharged, - OR - who are now, or may hereafter be on inactive or reserve duty in such military or naval service. A copy of Form DD-214 or equivalent proof of current military service must be submitted with application to qualify.
Submission of Application:
Applications must be submitted online by Monday, April 3, 2023 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Optional Ride Along Opportunity:
If any candidate would like to schedule a ride along with a Wilmington police officer, please contact Sergeant Dan Brimer at 815-476-2813.
Mandatory Next Steps in the Hiring Process:
Remote On-Line Written Examination Testing Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing available from 9 AM to 1 PM on Saturday, April 15, 2023. The test will only be available during this one-day time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process. Further instructions for taking the on-line written exam will also be provided the day prior to the examination date. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
The City of Wilmington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants:As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline.