Elk Grove Village Fire Department
Elk Grove Village, Illinois
The Elk Grove Village, Illinois Fire Department is accepting applications for the position of firefighter/paramedic.
Salary: $77,053.60 - $112,179.34 plus $5,100 Paramedic stipendPopulation: 32,942Sworn Personnel: 88
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Village of Elk Grove Fire Department:
- U.S. citizenship and/or legal permanent resident of the United States;
- Must be legally eligible to operate a motor vehicle in the State of Illinois and must possess a valid Illinois Driver's license at the time of hire;
- Minimum of 21 years of age and not older than 35 years of age by the date of hire, unless the candidate has previous experience as a full-time firefighter in the state of Illinois, or is a veteran that qualifies under Illinois Public Act 97-0251;
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
- Possess a valid Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) or National Registry EMT-Paramedic License (EMT-P) issued by the by the date of hire;
- Provide a valid CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test Card) with Ladder Climb issued within 12 months of the application deadline date (July 14, 2023) and at time of hire;
- Must read, write, and speak English;
- Must be in excellent physical condition and have good vision;
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
A maximum of thirteen (13) Preference Points will be awarded as determined by the Elk Grove Village Fire Department for the following:
- Education: (Maximum 4 points)
- A.) Associates degree (non-fire science) (1 pt.); -OR- B.) Bachelors degree (non-fire science) (3 pts.); -OR- C) Associates degree (fire science or emergency management) (2 pts.) -OR- D) Bachelors degree or higher degree (in fire science, fire science management, fire service administration, public administration, or public safety emergency management) (4 pts.). Transcript(s) (official or unofficial) -OR- copy of diploma must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Military Experience: (5 points).
- Awarded to applicants who have served a minimum of 1 year of active duty for U.S. military service members with an Honorable Discharge. DD-214 (long form) must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Paramedic License: (Maximum 3 points)
- Candidates who at the time of application have obtained an Illinois IDPH Paramedic License (1 pt) -OR- have IDPH Paramedic License with practice privileges in the Northwest Community EMS System as documented in a letter of Good Standing from the system (3 pts.). A copy of your license and letter if good standing, if applicable, must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Firefighter II/Basic Operations: (1 point)
- Candidates who at the time of application have obtained Certification by the State Fire Marshall's office as a Basic Operations Firefighter (Firefighter II).
Submission of Application:
Applications submitted online by Friday, July 14, 2023 at 4:00 PM (CST) will be accepted. Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Mandatory On-line Written Examination Testing: Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing available between Tuesday, August 1, 2023 at 9:00 AM and Thursday, August 3, 2023 at 4:00 PM. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
The Elk Grove Village Fire Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants:As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline.